Introducing ‘Bombylius Major’ (w.i.p)…

I’ve wanted to make a big heavy Shire/Cob with a convex, ‘Roman nose’ for a while now. They’re such powerful horses, yet typically so gentle.

He was christened Bombylius Major after a friend and I found a very odd looking bug on my floor one morning…with a long wiggly proboscis. After Googling & discovering it already had an official name we stopped calling it ‘Wiggly Nose Bug’…and I really liked the word- Bombylius is just so lovely to say, plus Major suits a big Shire-type…so it all fits šŸ™‚

I’ve had to redesign the legs slightly so they could have feathers, and took a few attempts to get the shape right, but I’m really pleased with them now. Looking forward to seeing the final piece all together.

AND, whilst sitting in the park, waiting for my laser cut to finish, I had a eureka moment!

I’ll put it in context- I love wings, natural engineering at it’sĀ absoluteĀ finest, in my opinion, so recreating them has been my ‘Everest’…and all of a sudden, out of the blue- it clicked how I could do it in layers… Which means Birds, and potentially a Pegasus… I’ve got so much on at the moment I can’t really do anything about it YET, but this sketch is the start of something…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s